Are you in United States? This is the Papier UK store, would you like to go to Papier US?

Yes No
Last Order Dates_Sitewide_20th Dec_UK
Hero Image

We’re conscious about our impact on the planet. We’re proud to say that we’ve made decisions and efforts to lessen our footprint since the very beginning, and we’re constantly looking for ways to improve. Discover the ways we’re making a difference below as well as some sustainability facts the European paper industry can be very happy about. Keep your eyes peeled for future updates – there’s even more to come.

Hero Image

Un, deux, trois. We founded our business with three core approaches that have sustainability at their heart. Five years on and we’re still committed to each and every one.



Hero Image
Paper is one of the most recycled products in the world. In 2018, the European recycling rate for paper was 72%, and the industry is striving to reach 74% by 2020.

Paper is one of the most recycled products in the world. In 2018, the European recycling rate for paper was 72%, and the industry is striving to reach 74% by 2020.

[1]

European forests are growing by more than 1,500 football pitches per day. The trees harvested from these forests provide over 90% of the wood fibre used by the European pulp & paper industry.

European forests are growing by more than 1,500 football pitches per day. The trees harvested from these forests provide over 90% of the wood fibre used by the European pulp & paper industry.

[2]

The paper industry is the biggest, single industrial user & producer of renewable energy in Europe. In fact, 60% of European pulp and paper mills’ energy comes from renewable sources.

The paper industry is the biggest, single industrial user & producer of renewable energy in Europe. In fact, 60% of European pulp and paper mills’ energy comes from renewable sources.

[3]

93% of water used to make paper is returned to the environment. The remaining 7% is either evaporated, retained within the product, or bound up in solid waste.

93% of water used to make paper is returned to the environment. The remaining 7% is either evaporated, retained within the product, or bound up in solid waste.

[4]

Hero Image

You can get involved and help us do good by recycling your Papier packaging along with any used Papier stationery you no longer wish to keep.

Hero Image

We’ve answered a few frequently asked questions below. If there’s something else you’d like to know, just drop us an email at support@papier.com and our team will find the answer for you.

Why don’t you use recycled paper?

It’s not possible to know the source of all the paper that goes into making recycled paper, so we prefer to use virgin paper that we know for certain came from a sustainably managed forest. The paper industry also relies on virgin fibres to sustain the paper cycle as recycled fibres degrade after several uses.


What are your delivery partners doing?

We deliver your Papier treasures using partners that share our commitment to being conscious. In the UK, we use DPD (they’re dedicated to making every parcel they deliver carbon neutral) and Royal Mail (you can read their environmental strategy here).


Are your notebook covers recyclable?

They’re currently not, but they are designed to last and we are looking for a biodegradable alternative.


Which of your products are FSC-certified?

All of our paper comes from FSC-certified paper suppliers who only work with forests that comply with the highest social and environmental standards.


Do all of your products come in plastic-free packaging?

Nearly all do, except for our framed prints, table plans & wedding signs. Currently they have protective, plastic elements to keep them safe during transit, but we are working on implementing new eco-friendly options.


Why do you use upcycled leather instead of vegan leather?

Upcycled leather uses cast offs from other industries that will essentially go to waste. Vegan leather is generally PU (plastic) on top of a base material which can be a virgin natural material (not recycled, bleached etc.) or an oil-based material like polyester. We chose to use upcycled leather to minimise the use of oil, plastic and unnecessary new materials. It also has the look and feel of real leather.

There are some great vegan leathers that are emerging such as pineapple, apple and mushroom leathers, but they are not commercially available as book binding materials currently. We would be open to anyone able to supply them thin enough for book binding in the future.

[1] European Paper Recycling Council, Monitoring Report 2018
[2] FAO data, 2005-2015
[3] Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Forest resources Assessment 2005-2015
[4] CEPI, Water Profile in 2015, 2017